Friday, June 30, 2017

Oh Crap! An Update

(I apologize in advance for the roughness of this piece, but I want to get a status update out as fast as possible for you all.)

Most of you won’t know this, but I use a special medication for my hair to control my eczema. The upside is that it works. The downside is that it wakes me up early in the morning because of its smell, only dissipating after I take a shower. However, because I’m already awake, I usually take that time to check my emails for a bit until I’m too tired and fall back asleep.

This morning, however, as I was checking my emails before dozing off, I got an unusual notification from Photobucket, aka the site I use to host the many wonderful pictures you’ve seen in my pieces on both Infinite Rainy Day and The Whitly-Verse, stating the following:

“WE NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING
PHOTOBUCKET FOR 3RD PARTY HOSTING*

TO RESTORE YOUR 3RD PARTY HOSTED IMAGES,
PLEASE UPGRADE TO A PLUS 500 PLAN.”
The email went on to explain what a Plus 500 Plan entails, but at first I thought this was spam. It had to be, there was no other way of explaining the ridiculousness of this email. So I went on my phone to check one of my blog entries, in order to make sure it wasn’t. Sure enough, my images on both sites were down. Considering that I have 62 pieces worth of material on The Whitly-Verse and who knows how many on Infinite Rainy Day (I’ve lost count), this immediately freaked me out like no tomorrow. Not only were my images gone, but I didn’t even remember which images went where due to the almost 8 years worth of uploading I’d done on Photobucket.

Anyway, I decided to do a little research into what a Plus 500 Plan would cost me. Turns out that it’s about $40 a month to use, and I’m assuming that’s in American dollars. Since I don’t have that kind of money to waste on image linking, I figured that that was it. I’d been having trouble with Photobucket for a while now, most-recently with even uploading images at all, but this was the last straw. I’d have to either download all of my photos onto my computer and re-upload them manually, or download them and re-upload them to a different site. After the former proved tedious and time-consuming, I decided to opt for the latter.

So goodbye Photobucket, hello Imugr, right? Well, kinda. See, past brush-ins with Imugr have shown the site to be far more efficient than Photobucket, but because I had so many images to upload the uploading process would take a long time. Even now, as I write this, Imugr has yet to upload my entire library from Photobucket that I’d downloaded onto my computer, and I’d started the transfer hours ago.

Well, what does that mean for all of you? For one, I’m hoping it’s not permanent as I swap photos, but you’re gonna see a lot of error messages in my blogs and articles for a bit where images once were. And two, I’m not ever using Photobucket again. The writing’s been on the wall for quite some time now anyway, this isn’t the first time the site’s bugged me, and it’s time I jump ships before I hurt myself further. I’m also considering calling Photobucket’s technical support to give them crap and see if I can get a grace period to help me with the transition, as Infinite Rainy Day is also a side-job that pays me money to write for them.

But anyway, that’s my situation for now. Apologies again for the shortness and rushed nature of this blog entry, but it’s been a rough few hours and I want to be transparent should any of you be confused. Don’t worry, I still have future blogs and articles I want to write, but for now I have to focus on maintenance of my brands.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)